My first professional casting as a student producer
Earlier this semester I was presented with an intriguing
opportunity to produce a web series. The series is written and directed by one
of the professors here at Mercer, and a couple of other students are working on
it as well. The project caught my attention from the beginning of the semester.
Partly because of its premise, but mostly because producing professionally is
my long-term goal after graduating. If you’re here, you probably already know
by now that our web series is going by the name of Mount Airy Mercer. A
(fictional) professor here has found herself in a tough spot and has been
crashing on campus in a secret location. So far, she’s been getting away with
it, but I guess you’ll all have to tune in and find out what happens after
that.
To produce
a series like this while still in school has been such a great experience so
far. I’m getting hands on experience of what the role of producer expects from
me before I head out into the “real world.” I may not be getting paid for it,
but in 2018 college credits are almost as valuable of a resource as money is.
The rest of the crew on the series is hand-picked students and alumni all under
the direction of our fearless leader, an actual professor here at Mercer
County. I’ll introduce them all in a later post, but here I wanted to discuss
some of the challenges of pre-production that I didn’t see coming as a
first-time producer.
The first
challenge that I definitely did not see coming was how difficult it would be to
say NO to people! When we first began pre-production meetings and writer’s
rooms for the series, our showrunner and director had a pretty clear idea for where
he wanted to take it. This made for a pretty easy layout for our first few
episodes, but a lot of disappointed people at the round table when they were
told their ideas didn’t work for the show. It’s a really delicate balance
shooting down people’s ideas. Saying “no” to someone doesn’t exactly mean they
have a bad idea, and even sometimes bad ideas are good. I’ve learned that bad
ideas give everyone an idea of where they don’t want their scripts and
subsequent episodes to go. There certainly have been some hurt feelings along
the way, but I heard somewhere the show must go on.
Another
thing that was more challenging than I expected it to be was casting. As I
mentioned before, our showrunner had a pretty clear idea of what he wanted for
the show, cast included. Myself and a few other key members of the crew then
had the responsibility of finding people who not only met pretty specific
criteria but were actually good actors. Our series is very much about the
characters so finding the right cast was essential to all of us. I foolishly
thought this would be an easy task given the specific requests from my showrunner.
So, he set up a casting ad and we waited for the responses. I thought that
since it was a small, student production that not many people would be
interested. I was wrong, very wrong. Within days we had hundreds upon hundreds
of applicants. By the end of the week the applications were nearing a thousand
between the three roles we wanted to audition for. It was really exciting to
see all of these people interested in working on our series! I began sorting
through the applicants with the help of our showrunner and I was beyond
impressed by the talent I came across. Some of the applicants had worked
alongside some really big celebrities, it was almost flattering they applied to
our show. I had to keep reminding myself not to be intimidated; I had
interviewed and been chosen for this job and deep down I knew I could do it
without fangirling.
Audition
day was the coolest experience so far. We were finally off campus, in New York
City, and I was starting to feel a little professional. The auditions went well
for the most part and I really enjoyed seeing the process played out and all my
hard work sorting through hundreds of applications come together. In my mind I
had envisioned a big studio and the actors being a little snooty, but it was
the exact opposite. The actors were very down to earth and talented, and our
audition room was cozy and personal enough to get a sense of who each actor was
beyond reading their sides. A little over three hours later and our crew had
come to a solid decision on who we wanted to cast. I’m very confident with the
decisions that we made, and I’m extremely excited to get to work with them. Now
that we had our actors chosen, it was time for me to get our production
registered with SAG-AFTRA, which is the actor’s union for those who don’t know.
I’ll be discussing that more in my next blog post!
One thing
I’ve learned so far when it comes to producing is that planning ahead is your
friend. During the writing, casting and pre-production process there is a lot
of tasks required of you and a lot more that pop up as things unfold; and at
times it’s a little intimidating. Especially if you’re still a student like me
and have other classes, a job, and a family to balance as well. Making lists,
planning ahead, and prioritizing has really helped me stay (somewhat) sane
during this whole process. As we get closer to our shoot date, my tasks are
growing and becoming more important. I’ve found that planning adequate time for
them and making lists of what I need to do before it comes time to do it helps
me stay on task. Let’s hope it stays that way during the chaos of shooting!
Comments
Post a Comment